COVID-19: Self-employed, gig workers, independent contractors and low wages workers can file for Federal Benefits!
If you’ve lost a job or had hours reduced due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you can file a claim for benefits, including unemployment. File a claim to the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity are now open through phone and online. You can call at 1-866-500-0017 and press 1 to file a claim, but the phone line can be busy due to the staggering number of call at a same time. So you can file your claim online for the fastest service. Basically a staggering number of Americans loses their jobs or have their hours reduced during the COVID-19 outbreak. As results they are filing the unemployment application for help. But you must be unemployed through no fault of you own, quarantined or hours have been reduced to be eligible for unemployment benefits.
How to Apply-
- Go to the UIA’s system (MiWAM) at michigan.gov/uia
- Scroll down and Click on “For Employees” from the UIA home page.
- Click on “Sign in With MILogin” under Log in To MiWAM for claimants section to create a new account or login with an existing account.
- If you’ve an existing account then click on Login otherwise click on Continue button to create a new account. The following steps are for new user-
- Step 1: Profile information- enter the all required information (name, email, phone etc.) and check the terms and condition box then click on NEXT.
- Step 2: Security Setup- chose a user ID and password of your choice (but it should be follow the guidelines), setup a verification process and then click on CREATE ACCOUNT.
- Step 3: Confirmation- You will see a confirmation message in the next window. You’ve to verify your account by email or phone that you’ve chosen in Step 2.
- Now login and start filing a new claim in MiWAM. To file a claim, enter your Identification (SSN and DOB) then the system will determine your next steps. If you have not previously filled for unemployment benefits click on Submit. Otherwise you can access your filed claim.
- Enter your Michigan ID information and click on Next Step. Agree to the Security Agreement and click on Submit to begin filing your new claim.
- Identification information: after completing all required information, click on Next Step.
- Demographic Information: enter your physical address, telephone number, demographic information and additional information. Click Next Step when finished.
- Additional Info: you have to answer the all questions in the Claim Date, Out of state work and school information sections. Click on the Next Step when finished.
- Employment Information: the information are required in this section are available in your pay stubs and W-2 documents. Click on the Next Step when finished.
- Payment Method: This is final steps to finish a claim. Setup your direct deposit information to access your money faster. Click on Next step.
- Select an option to receive correspondence from UI. There are two option- Go Green and Paper. Click on Next step.
- Check the tic box to agree your unemployment benefits rights and click on Next Step.
- Review and submit your claim. After you file, you’ll be notify about the claim and the program. Once you’re receiving benefits, you’ll have to certify every two weeks, which you can do online. To keep receiving benefits, you have to show that you are actively looking for work. The department advises keeping a record of your search dates. If there are questions about your eligibility, you may have to participate in a phone interview.